Friday 3 May 2013

I know, I know I should be posting on the list but an amazing thing happened to me this week thanks to my insane desire to pour my inane thoughts all over this little part of the Internet.

I made a post about my mum being a massive Beatles fan earlier in the week and received a Facebook message from my cousin David. He is my mums younger brothers son.

"Hey Stephen - how's things? I just read your latest blog and it reminded me of this... recorded in South Shields sometime around 1965/66 I think! Not sure if you'll have heard it before..."

There was a link to file called 'You've got to hide your love away'

So firstly I was amazed that someone who I only ever met once and lived on the other side of planet is reading this thing (Yay) (and also thanks to Jason H to just became a follower/member of the blog even though I've been giving him heaps about Tupperware)

Secondly I am probably a bit slow, but I thought David had sent me a rock song from some random North East band covering The Beatles. So I clicked the link and a little girl started singing. I was still on the rock song theory and figured that this was the intro.

60 seconds in and I clicked that this could be my mum at 12 or 13 y/o singing her little heart out to her favourite track.

I think it is fair to say that I generally have all the emotional range of a rubber duck but fuck me, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I have no fucking clue what emotion that I was feeling.

I bag the Internet hard a lot of the time, but this is one of the reasons why it has its place on our planet.

Anyone who knows me will also know that I only ever give effusive thanks on ridiculously rare occasions, but here goes.

Thanks David. You will probably never know what that 2 minute mp3 means to me. I have a hole in my life where my mum should be that will never be filled. Up until that moment I had absolutely no clue what she was like as a child and you helped filled a little gap that she never had the chance to.

Right. That is that, back to the fucking rock next time, alright???? Alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment