Wednesday 1 May 2013

Number 21
Song & Artist: Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine
Album & Date: Rage Against The Machine - 3rd November 1992
Nationality of band: American
Members at release: Tim Commerford (Bass Guitar - American), Zak de la Rocha (Vocals - American), Tom Morello (Guitar - American), Brad Wilk (Drums - American)

YouTube:
 
My rant;

Metal/Rap?? Rap Metal?? I'm pretty damn sure that we're not talking about grunge here, even though the fact that this track was released during the good ole days when grunge was king. I think that my fascist view on anything and everything rap made me avoid this track like the plague back in the day. I remember Kane had it playing in his Ford Capri in '95 and to be fair it sounded to 'rappy' for me then. I was, as some would say that I still am, caught up in the purity of the grunge sound and this one just didn't click.

Ironically enough, my other passion, PC gaming helped me find my way into this track. Thank you Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. There is something special about driving around South Central Los Santos, running people over and being chased by the LSPD listening to "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me".

On a separate note, this PC game also got me into Pretend We're Dead  by L7, Rusty Cage by Soundgarden, and amongst other tracks, Been Caught Stealing by Jane's Addiction.

On another separate note, if I was lost on a desert island (which luckily enough had enough power to run electronic gear) and I could only choose one media, it would always be music.

To the track itself. This is a ball busting tryst with racism and other drama circa 1992. It starts off with heavy and slow guitars. It doesn't take long to figure out something desperate and dramatic is coming.

The track uses a lot of repetition, but uses it well. Every time a set of repetition comes up, it is delivered with more rage than the last, building inevitably to the point where a wickedly sharp guitar riff attacks you around 3:50 and lasts until 4:10 where the signature of this track takes over "Fuck you, I won't do what tell me" and builds and repeats until 4:30 when de la Rocha just explodes all over the track.

The drums in this track add a level that not many other tracks can brag they have. Simple, puncuating and perfect.

It is simply a great track. No one should ever call it a beautiful song, but it epitomises a time when people felt like the lyrics say.

I occasionally feel aggrieved that I did not get into this track only, but that is life.

Bands: (multiple band entrys ARE counted twice)

12 - America
9 - England

Band Members Country of Origin: (multiple band entrys ARE counted twice)

44 - America
39 - England
2 - Germany
1 - Tanzania
1 - Australia

Decade Released

13 - 90's
4 - 70's
2 - 60's
1 - 00's
1 - 80's

Year Released

3 - 1991
3 - 1994
2 - 1997
2 - 1993
2 - 1995
2 - 1971
1 - 1975
1 - 1965
1 - 1979
1 - 1968
1 - 2006
1 - 1987
1 - 1992


Genre:
7 - Alternative
4 - Grunge
4 - Rock
1 - Punk
1 - Glam Rock
1 - Post Grunge
1 - BritPop(Rock)
1 - Hard Rock
1 - Metal/Rap

No comments:

Post a Comment