Tuesday 28 May 2013

Number 25
Song & Artist: Perfect Day - Lou Reed
Album & Date: Transformer - 8th November 1972
Nationality of band: American
Members at release: Herbie Flowers (Bass Guitar - English), John Halsey (Drums - English), Lou Reed (American - Guitar/Vocals) & Mick Ronson (Lead Guitar - English)

YouTube:
 
My rant;

If you're wondering where you heard this song, think Trainspotting.

I know that 3 of the four guys in the 'band' are English and yet I have called this an American band. Well I used two bits of logic for this one. Firstly, it was released as Lou Reed - Transformer and Lou Reed is American. Secondly, I call Crowded House a Kiwi band because Neil Finn had the most pure talent in the band and the same rings true here.

I have called this Glam Rock. I choked a bit over it, but seeing as I have spent a week wrestling with the idea that this is rock at all, that seemed the best place to class it. I believe now that this is a rock song. Borderline perhaps, but that is what makes it brilliant.

I am not a Velvet Underground fan, but I understand the impact that the band had on pop culture. I guess that could make this an Alternative Rock song.... in fact fuckit, I'm changing it..... done.

Alternative rock is a divisive genre in my mind. But that is an argument for another day. Basically if everyone else is listening to something else, then its alternative......

Like lots of songs on this list I don't listen to this one a lot, but when I do it claws my memory back to first dates that went so well, so well that I was floating on air, and clucking to all and sundry what a result I'd had.... but then, later it all comes back as you reap what you sow. A truly poignant reflection on a few relationships I have had.

Most notably a certain German who personifies this track.

Yep, many perfect days were had. Holidays, zoo, messing around in parks, and at home. So god damned happy that my 20 year old past self was literally jumping for joy to my friends who always held back on accepting my happiness. (problems all left alone) I knew why, deep down i knew why, but as Michael (Jackson) Bradshaw once said; just enjoy it while it lasts. They knew that they would be there to pick up the pieces when I fell apart. I knew I was going to fall apart, I knew I was going to reap what I'd sown, but I was incapable of doing anything other than just enjoying the 'perfect day' I was going through.

The tone Lou sings is kind of threatening and cagey and menacing and is exactly how I felt the as end began closing in on me and then it all slammed to an end at Auckland International Airport. Fuck I still hate that place. 'You just keep me hanging on.'

The undercurrent of upbeat and smooth music perfectly counterpoints the depth of the sombre delivery.

It always amazes me that this song, which I heard for the first time during watching Trainspotting at Lisa's house, symbolises both the most emotional I have ever been, and the point where the vast majority of my emotions stopped.

The coolest thing about this track is that, according to my sources, while it seems so damn simple, it is apparently a very difficult and complex song to play and sing.

That must take true genius.

Bands: (multiple band entrys ARE counted twice)

14 - America
11 - England

Band Members Country of Origin: (multiple band entrys ARE counted twice)

50 - America
50 - England
3 - Germany
1 - Tanzania
1 - Australia
1 - Japan
1 - Northern Ireland

Decade Released

15 - 90's
6 - 70's
2 - 60's
1 - 00's
1 - 80's

Year Released

4 - 1994
3 - 1991
3 - 1995
2 - 1997
2 - 1993
2 - 1971
1 - 1975
1 - 1965
1 - 1979
1 - 1968
1 - 2006
1 - 1987
1 - 1992
1 - 1970
1 - 1972

Genre:
9 - Alternative
5 - Rock
4 - Grunge
2 - BritPop(Rock)
1 - Glam Rock
1 - Punk
1 - Post Grunge
1 - Hard Rock
1 - Metal/Rap

No comments:

Post a Comment