Friday 10 May 2013

Number 24
Song & Artist: What's The Frequency, Kenneth? - REM
Album & Date: Monster - 26th September 1994
Nationality of band: American
Members at release: Bill Berry (Drums - American), Peter Buck (Guitar - American), Mike Mills (Bass Guitar - American), Michael Stipe (Vocals - American)

YouTube:

My rant;

So many reasons to love this track. It's part of a tribute to Kurt Cobain, who died not long before it was released. Also it seems to be a counciling session for Michael Stipe who tried, but failed to get get Kurt to go to Georgia to chill out in the days before he kissed the shotgun.

For me, REM in 1995 live at Western Springs was my first concert and this track was the most explosive thing I'd ever encountered. I went with my dads friend, Swanny and his wife Wendy. Now, If you don't know them, you're thinking, what a lame-o plan; go to a concert with two old people. Well fuck you, let me tell you that there were no two people I would have rather gone with. Swanny was a hard drinking dude, with a kick ass sense of humour. He really enjoyed asking girls I brought out if we had condoms.... embarrasing then, but hilarious at the same time. All the girls hated i, I kept bringing them to see him.... He was chaperone for a date my brother went and is general all round good guy. The god-father I never had.

Wendy died a few years after from some type of cancer, but I'll always remember her stuffing a botle of rum into her pants befre heading into the Springs.

When Grant Lee Buffalo and Crowded House had finished their sets, there was the mandatory pause for a while and this track exploded in the dark. Lights flashed and for a small moment there was only me, What's the frequency, Kenneth, the faint smell of weed on the wind and the night. AMAZING.

This is one of the many times I bought an album because I heard the lead single on Hauraki and was initially disappointed with the other offerings. But over time I have come to terms with what the album itself is trying to achieve and it occupies a special part of my musical memory.

To the track itself, it has everything you want. A grunty, grungy electric start, a statement about benzidrine, followed by a statement about how frazzled he was, pained and locked out, no, not up to speed. A kick ass riff that repeats throughout.

There are a series of burning statements through, "Withdrawl in disgust is not the same as apathy" and "You said that irony was the shackles of youth" amongst others.

I'm not a musician, but there is a great shaking guitar noise that repeat through (listen at around 1:33) which gives the track depth and personality from everything else around.

Its uses the great sound (uh-Huh) technique that we all have to yell along with everytime it comes along. It's a song of sad lyrics with a extraordinary upbeat riff that tracks along marvellously as Stipe appeals desperately to you all the way until he tells you not to fuck with him near the end.

I don't often reference the video for these songs, but this one is cracker. I especially love the way he moves (when he starts to move). This is the epitomy of a great rock video. CLICK IT.

Bands: (multiple band entrys ARE counted twice)

13 - America
11 - England

Band Members Country of Origin: (multiple band entrys ARE counted twice)

49 - America
47 - England
3 - Germany
1 - Tanzania
1 - Australia
1 - Japan
1 - Northern Ireland

Decade Released

15 - 90's
5 - 70's
2 - 60's
1 - 00's
1 - 80's

Year Released

4 - 1994
3 - 1991
3 - 1995
2 - 1997
2 - 1993
2 - 1971
1 - 1975
1 - 1965
1 - 1979
1 - 1968
1 - 2006
1 - 1987
1 - 1992
1 - 1970


Genre:
8 - Alternative
5 - Rock
4 - Grunge
2 - BritPop(Rock)
1 - Punk
1 - Glam Rock
1 - Post Grunge
1 - Hard Rock
1 - Metal/Rap

No comments:

Post a Comment